View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 5:22 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I'm trying to make sense of your model here.

So all children survive to adulthood? The first cohort stays identical in size for 20 years and the deaths don't start kicking in for 40 years?

No emigration? Let's not forget a lot of Irish immigrants to Britain were there temporarily and went on to America. Britain had net emigration in the 19th century.
Yes those are the surviving kids, based on average amount per woman. I kick start deaths from the age of their 40s -and Im quite brutal insofar as Im basing only 60% reaching that, 70% for the generation after.

Ah so now you're saying that the Irish who migrated to the UK, and who swelled the numbers to such a degree in a decade after the famine, were just on their way to the US (the opposite direction I may add)? Im sure some did turn about and go to the US, but hundreds of thousands, after a decade? Not many people stopping off on some roundabout trip to the New World happened to fill in a British Household Census form either. And Britain's population quadrupled in the 19th Century, 10.5 million > 41 million.

You're also forgetting the other waves before and after, all those calculations are based on only the one.

Last edited by muppet; Dec 27, 2022 at 6:25 PM.