View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Great video (and thanks ChiPlanner for also posting it). I understand this is a modern way of building and personal taste aside, since we need more housing and this is a cheap & effective way to weatherproof, then build it. But it'd look so much better better if the coloring scheme avoided setting apart the housing as affordable. Given the paint can be any color (likely a little more $ for metallics/mattes), it seems like it's an intentional way to mark those that "don't belong" in a neighborhood.

It doesn't even need to be all monochromatic and/or neutrals, the red example from the video isn't half bad. But in their current state here in Chicago, it's not hard to imagine these will be first on the demo slate when the time comes (~40 years) if they're not renovated inside and out.
I think you are confusing what you see as something that other people would see and notice and associate in this particular way. I guarantee that the overwhelming majority of people, if they notice these somewhat small panels at all - and most won't -, would think "neat" and then move on about their day. They wouldn't even put two and two together that the people walking in and out of the building are "other" in the way you are.