View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I'm guessing much of the bungalow belt is from the interwar period, as are the North Shore suburbs and Oak Park.
i grew up in wilmette on the north shore. it was built in several waves. the commuter rail station in wilmette opened in 1869, and the village was then incorporated 3 years later, but growth was slow at first. it wasn't until sometime in the 1880s that the village crossed the 1,000 people threshold. then things started moving, between 1890 and 1920, wilmette grew 5-fold. that's the part of wilmette that i grew up in (east wilmette). it was primarily built out by 1920 (the house i grew up in was built in 1912, our next door neighbor's house was built in the 1880s).

then came the '20s and wilmette annexed the adjacent village of gross point (central wilmette), swelling the village's population, and new homes continued to be built in central wilmette. then came the depression and the war and things quieted down, then in the '50s and '60s, west wilmette was primarily built out.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 20, 2019 at 2:29 PM.