View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
But on the heart of that matter I agree with the spirit of your argument. No talented architects or architecture critics or academics elsewhere around the world are going to each other, "hey, you have to see the stuff they've put up in Chicago recently." There's good stuff, but clearly no critical mass of truly noteworthy design happening.
Yes there's still good stuff going on, but it's gonna be extremely hard to ever recreate the heydey of yesteryear which is almost an impossible standard. But of course things could be a bit better. Maybe if Chicago sees a substantial population influx and I do think that is realistic before the end of the decade.

Also when looking back on the past - it's easy to mentally condense all the 'best stuff' that occurred over a period of 40-50 years and so on a year by year basis things seem slower now. But statistically, the city is actually building at a faster pace than ever at the tall end (as is the entire world more recently).

St Regis is bar far the most architecturally significant (though imperfect) building recently. It's the tallest building in the world designed by a woman is subtantiail as well. Previously that was Aqua which was widely acclaimed outside Chicago as well. Going back further Millennium Park was a major win in the architectural/design/city arena.

The airport has potential hopefully, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

The Obama center is significant and a $1 billion project and will probably get a lot of attention architecturally once it nears completion.

Stuff like this is exciting as well and I'm really looking forward to it https://sterlingbay.com/sterling-bay...-chicago-fire/

Quote:
Sterling Bay To Develop Chicago’s Tallest Timber-Made Building Since Before The Great Chicago Fire
Quote:
Construction on 2100 N Southport is estimated to begin in early 2023. Architectural renderings of the building are available by request.