View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 5, 2022, 6:50 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

This is the basic template I suggest drawing inspiration from. I would refine it by making the curtain wall seamless and more stripped down (i.e. fewer and/or less bulky mullions and transoms), fewer and thinner columns closer to the curtain wall, more elegant skin texture for the ceiling, and perhaps some skylights to give it some personality.

Otherwise, the sterile and barren visual language is actually what would set it apart from the majority of other "wow" airports. Beijing Capital is impressive by virtue of high-quality materials, size, and spaciousness, but it still screams "airport architecture" and you can very easily tell that it was designed by Norman Foster. Heathrow's Terminal 5 (also designed by Foster), while very nice, is boring because it follows standard conventions with the curvilinear roofline and trusses.

Most of the other "wow" airports around the world (built, under construction, or planned) are: 1) master-planned from scratch and built as a single unit (not feasible for LAX), 2) have architecture that is way too culture-specific, and/or 3) are visual overload to the point where they look like the work of a student's final project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
It's really not that complicated. I came up with this design in 5 minutes.

β€” Jerome Bruner