View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
this is literally religious unfalsifiable thinking. You cant know what would have happened. Good thing we invaded Iraq before Sadam conquered the earth! Imagine what would have happened if we didn't! We'd all be subjects of the planetary Baath party!

I would argue that if we had not become the spectacle it was it would have probably stayed 3rd page news about a Wuhan flu epidemic that spread and was causing busy emergency rooms like many many many flue and other illness epidemics have in the past.
It may even be that the same number of people would have gotten it pre-vaccination, but in a shorter period of time. And since the vast majority of people don’t get anything close to requiring hospital treatment, the “overwhelmed healthcare system” problem could have been prevented by prudence on the part of vulnerable people (particularly the elderly).

Of course they refused to do that (my own 73-year old father was complaining in May 2020 that it would be “unfair” to let young people enjoy themselves if old people could not, as if fairness had anything to do with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
No deal. I am special.
We have this in common.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov