View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
also, what is "tech" anymore? is walmart any more or less "tech" than amazon?

if you consider software developers as the only true tech workers, those people are everywhere but yes there are a lot in the san fran bay area
I agree. The roles today and definitions today are even different than a decade ago. The amount of people and roles to pull this stuff off has grown a bit too. Product roles, for example, are also tech much of the time.

I personally take anyone who works on a tech product to be a tech worker no matter the company. I used to work for a stereotypical "tech company " but not anymore. My entire org, though, is larger than a lot of large tech companies. We have the same roles as a tech company, we use a lot of the same technology, doing a lot of the same things. I work with former employees of Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, IBM, Salesforce, etc etc. We use a lot of the same methodologies, processes,, etc as them.. But how many people recognize us as "tech workers"? It's so sad it's funny. By the way we are hiring something like 250 tech workers in Chicago right now but alas, that doesn't make the news.

There's always been a bunch of tech workers in Chicago but it's more visible now because of the startup ecosystem and large increase of VC funding in a relatively short period of time. Ultimately this is a good thing to be diversified whether you can work in the financial industry, retail industry, at a startup, or an established tech company.