View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2018, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not sure a dense network of subway stations is an end in itself. IMO the goal should be to spread the lines out over LA to achieve the greatest coverage. The Historic Core/Fashion District already has the best transit accessibility in LA, and will roughly double with Regional Connector providing access to the Eastside branch and the Pasadena/Foothills branch, so I don't see how adding one more line (to Downey and Artesia of all places) will somehow push it over the top in terms of local development.

OTOH, Alt E provides access to Union Station, including buses, Amtrak, Metrolink, and future HSR, and better supports development along the Alameda corridor through the Arts District which has no rail transit at the moment. I would prefer to see an additional station in this zone, maybe ones at Olympic, 6th and Little Tokyo between 1st/2nd.
Look at the study I posted. The riders are not coming from Southeast LA to head to the destinations that Amtrak, Metrolink, and future HSR will go, nor are they heading eastwards on the Gold Lines. They will be going to the employment centers in the downtown core. It makes sense to serve daily commuters than the non-frequent trips that Amtrak and future HSR represent. There would be multiple options for riders to make a convenient transfer to a line that will head into Union Station, but the Union Station to Red Line transfer to get to the downtown core is both a difficult transfer as well as being more time-consuming by requiring riders to double-back in the direction of travel just to get to their destination.

Both E and G have the same Arts District stop.

More commuters board in the Downtown core than at Union Station: