View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The problem is I would still have to have a car to drive to/from the train station (or Uber/Lyft -- an additional expense). In addition, it is difficult to be productive on a train when you are smashed in with hundreds of your closest "friends" and have to hold on to keep from falling over. And it is VERY difficult to be productive in the subway when there is no cell service.

The productivity aspect of transit (at least LA transit) is highly overrated at this point. At least I can make private business calls in the comfort of my car.

Hopefully as more light rail cars come on line, the crowding will ease. Hopefully internet access will come to the subway. Hopefully the Expo line will be given signal prioritization. Hopefully Metrolink will provide additional services to fill the gap between 6:45 and 7:35pm. And hopefully the Downtown Connector will make life easier (in 4 years).

I haven't given up on using transit for my commute, but there are a lot of things that need to be fixed.
Hopefully local transit service will some day be improved to eliminate the need to leave your car at a Park n Ride all day. How can anybody go from a two car family to a one car family if you still need to drive to the closest rail station? The real advance in transit comes when riders can make their entire trip efficiently on transit.