View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
We're all Cathnostic or lower-case 'c' cultural catholics. All of the immigrant and refuge groups to land in and stick around New England outside of the Puritans were Catholic: Irish, Italians, French Canadians/Arcadians, Portuguese, Cape Verdeans, Polish, Ukrainians, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Brazilians ... no crazy Revivalist history after the Puritans stopped burning witches. Catholics tend to naturally get apathetic if there aren't any holy rollin' Evangelical Protestants around inspiring them to behave similarly. This is why most of the New England Catholics who still actively go to mass vote blue, while places like Louisiana can produce Chief Justice Barrett.
Same in Southeastern PA (Philly and Philly burbs) and NJ. Nearly everyone I knew growing up who was Christian was Catholic (or Episcopalian or Lutheran). I didn't even know there were other types of Christians until I got to college. I remember we had 1 Baptist family in my neighborhood growing up and they had chickens and a sheep in their backyard (before it was cool) and that's all I needed to know about "them".

Everyone is universally a-religious now. Some still do the sacraments but tbh most don't even bother.