View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Exactly, and to add to this point, the Sheraton was built when Streeterville was basically empty lots and rats. Hindsight is 20-20, but acting like they should have built retail spots on a building there thinking that maybe in 30 years they could finally fill out the slots? Yeah right
And now it needs to be fixed. Either retrofitted, or the building torn down and replaced.

Whatever. I don't really care about Streeterville. There's nothing interesting over there and no reason to go. I guess it seems to be a good place for out of towners who want a city pied a terre (I know two such families).

But creating more inviting public spaces and a more interesting street level environment could, potentially, make it a place that people have reason to visit in the future. Perhaps even that is a stretch, given that pretty much all of the lots are huge parcels with major landlords, and therefore unlikely to lease space for anything interesting.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov