View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2022, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post

Forgive the nitpicking, but Google says 107km if you measure from Toronto City Hall to Kitchener City Hall.

Further, if you measure (using Google) the distance from the Toronto border to the first Kitchener interchange on the Highway 401, its 72km.

That may or may not change how you would choose to classify the area, but its enough of a difference from your statement to be noteworthy.

It's too far away, specially for Canada where urban footprints are much denser.

BTW, Campinas (3 million people) and São Paulo (21 million people) are 95 km away and have Jundiaí (800k) in the middle. Everybody regards them as separate metro areas despite the massive daily traffic between them through Anhanguera and Bandeirantes highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
Steely likes to argue for contiguous urban area for measuring. I happen think all measures are subjective; and there really is only one fair comparison.

Which is a set number of km2/miles2 and the number of people who live there.

It is, or it is not.

There's no real arguing except where 2 large urban centres overlap and you wish to choose to divide them as separate.
It's all subjective but we can make educated guesses specially if we're really interested on making a comprehensive definition instead of "I want to make my city to look better/bigger".