View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
There's been some serious talk of moving ITC out to UTSA.
That would actually be really cool - give non-students and visitors a reason to come to the 1604 campus for more than the occasional music performance (many/most gallery shows are done at the Blue Star complex) and home basketball/softball/vollyball games (roadrunner baseball is usually played at Wolfe stadium).

Have to tell ya tho- don't have a clue where they could put the facility on campus. The most visible part, the museum display pieces are only part of the ITC collection. There is also a large collection of pieces that arent on display and in storage. They also have some academic collections that were donated (writings, manuscripts, books, papers) and a HUGE photo depository (I want to say one of the Kleberg collections is there - I had to scour the collection about a decade ago for a specific photo my boss had seen and wanted a print of). They also have the entire photo archives of the Express-News and its' predacessor papers going back to 1865 or something. They also have classroom and meeting space so a new facility anywhere would take up a noticable chunk of land. Guess they could bust up the academic and photo collections with parts going to the public policy institute at the DT campus and the writings, journals, and books going to the 1604 library. But they'd still have to find a place to put the 'museum' part of the ITC and the 1604 campus is hurting for space in a bad way. The eastern half of campus is currently dedicated for future use of the sciences and engineering (research specifically). The SE and extreme NE parts of the campus have to be left for open space (geological features; caves and hydrological faults with the rest of that area in the 100 year flood plain. The central core is rapidly being built out which leaves the western part of campus - and that doesn't seem to jive with their plans from day 1 to have the eastern half and core of the campus be academic space and the western half be residential, athletic, and recreational in nature. But hey, plans were meant to be changed, right? Romo is a smart guy. If they want it up there, he'll find a way to get it done. A museum on the 1604 campus would be great, IMHO.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.