View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2022, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I would suggest CV was instrumental in buying the Bell Hotel and its liquor license . It was a participant in a successful reuse of the building and its programming. I believe they participated in a similar project on Selkirk Avenue? The St Regis did not work out for CV but would have if the condition of its liquor licence was enforced or just the beverage room was closed down. There was nothing wrong with upgrading the building and continue utilizing it as accommodation for northern Manitobans in the City for medical reasons. (I know that was not on your watch but the demolition of a heritage building was.)

I would say a solution at the Woodbine is definitely within CV’s mandate.

As the board of directors and the Chair have wished to travel in another direction on this, I will say again, perhaps it’s time to move on and give another group of concerned community minded Winnipeger’s a chance at bettering the downtown in a different way. Thank you for your effort I do know it was heartfelt. As I said, six plus years is really long enough for a volunteer board to make an impact.

The building owners and I hope some of the businesses will still be around long after the self congratulatory speeches are over. Someone has to be left to pay the taxes, salaries and pensions.

This is not an issue of serving poor people but rather over serving. Again these issues are not encountered to the same degree at other establishments in the area. It’s about illegal and irresponsible bartending and a vendor that needs to be shut down.

Is there a CV program to replace smashed windows and broken locks? We are sitting at almost 20k for 2021 / 2022. And no it’s not covered by insurance.
While I agree about The Woodbine, another huge problem is that downtown has a few blocks away the new Main St Project and Siloam Mission with very visible scores of people that while in need of help, we place these establishments on major streets.
Another huge issue...nobody discusses is...the once elegant Marlborough Hotel.It needs attention as well as Woodbine.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg...ting-1.5885174

This is the heart of downtown & what is happening is the root cause of persons feeling safe on Portage Avenue evening & later at night..
There needs to be an intervention there a.s.a.p.