View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

One of my favorite buildings, the Hall of Records. The photo is from 1957.

The Hall of Records west from City Hall, with remnants of Bunker hill in the background 1956.
Anyone know what the solitary building on the left is?

Hall of Records, with Rainier Pale Beer sign....very cool.
Hi all, my first post here…and yeah, dig it, this is too cool a thread, I was tipped off to it by Scott.

One thing I’d like to point out, going waaay back to the beginning of this thread, post #9, ethereal_reality asks what is that solitary building off to the left? (Which is seen again in post #383, for example.) That was the Law Building, by Taylor and Taylor, a twelve-story height-limit built in ‘24-25. Brothers Edward Cray Taylor and Ellis Wing Taylor are best known for their Masonic Temple in Yuma (National Register) and the Wolfer Printing bldg on LA’s Wall St – Historic Cultural Monument #161. Anyway, the Law Building had a 45’ frontage at 139 N Broadway and a depth of 100’. It was just a stone’s throw down from Court Flight. It was occupied mostly by attorneys but also housed a collection of County governmental departments. In 1953 it was remodeled by the famous coffee shop architects Armet & Davis, lots of Colorosa travertine and horizontal aluminum, very cool. The Law Building and its neighbor, Lawyers Title Guarantee (the little building with the columns, best seen in post #11) were the last privately owned structures in the Civic Center mall area before being forced to sell out in ’64…though the owners and the City battled it out in Superior Court for two years over the price! After the City finally got a legal judgment on a price in ’66, they knocked the Law Building down but quick.

Last edited by Beaudry; Nov 18, 2021 at 9:21 PM.