View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 1:06 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
On that basis, I believe that Walmart is doing a great deal to bring about world unity (and peace).
But they make use of low paid labour in third world countries so that people in rich countries can buy clothes for cheap. (Often that is a necessity, because thanks to companies like Walmart, you can no longer make more than minimum wage in a retail environment). I don't see how that kind of relationship promotes unity and peace?

Judging from that map, you want Walmart to become the new world empire?

Quote:
I am awe-struck by what this company is doing for our world.
I, too, am awe-struck at what that company is doing to our world.

Quote:
As for the rumors about associates being underpaid and overworked: I disagree, because I've never seen evidence that those rumors are truthful. On my part, I feel that I am treated well and compensated fairly.
I think that is actually part of the reason that customer service at Walmart is so bad, and why the store is so dirty that they were forced to offer a discount on products covered in bird shit. (Birds get into our Walmart store because it was built poorly, and they built nests above the clothing department and shit on the clothes. It is less of a problem now but you still find the occasionally white and brown lump somewhere in the store.)

Walmart doesn't motivate its employees. It's a demotivational work environment. And if someone is working with a company for 14 years, shouldn't they be making more than $12 an hour? I've been working for a local business for 5 months and I earn more than my dad does and he has "seniority" (not that that concept exists in Wally World) over 99% of the staff. I actually work full time! He can't. They won't let him!

Quote:
As for my part, I am a department manager at my store. I'm not at the bottom, but I'm not floating at the top either. That's my angle.
Well there you go. You're part of the magical 0.5% of Walmart employees who actually found a future at the company. Congratulations! You are an exception.

Quote:
But people who work at Walmart can't afford to actually build up savings. You aren't saving anything when the only option you can afford is Walmart. Saving implies that you could have afforded to go to another business to buy an item, but went there instead. Very few people who shop at Walmart can say that. If anything, the instant gratification lifestyle promoted by Walmart it itself a demotivate. People no longer have to put any effort into achieving things. Those who don't won't be rewarded with promotion, so why bother? What a horrible world to live in.

And in the end, the whole economy suffers because of the lack of economic diversity and bottom heavy business hierarchy. I would guess that as a percentage of the workforce today, far fewer people are in positions of management than before. Most of us work under a small group of people. That isn't good for the economy at all, in my opinion. In fact, I see that lack of choice and bottom-heavy hierarchy as being distinctly anti-capitalist as far as I understand capitalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
If Wal Mart were to open in lets say NYC, not New Jersey, not Long Island, but in NYC it would DESTROY every store, and small business.
It wouldn't destroy every store, but it would destroy a lot of them, and for every store that closes, that's a small group of people that no longer earn decent wages or salaries, and therefore have less to spend in the economy that is supposedly based on being able to spend money.

And before someone says something about unions: The Real Canadian Superstore is a similar store to Walmart (but with more emphasis on food), and it has lower prices than Walmart for most things. And it's unionized.