View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
The Intermodal Center in Miami was planned with HSR in mind & they have room for it. However the rejection of Fed funds by Governor Scott has ended that idea. The rest of the trasportation systems you mentioned are still intact.
I would say that the actions of Gov. Scott has put the plans for a Tampa to Orlando to Miami true HSR route on indefinite hold, but those plans are not completely dead. The FEC is sort of taking over those plans and may well extend their tracks from Orlando Airport to Tampa on the ROW that was to be used for the HSR line.

The new tracks across Florida from Cocoa to Orlando Airport and then to Tampa should upgradeable to higher speed electrified HSR, say 160 or 180 mph speeds, because they will be mostly straight with either no or very few grade crossings. However, the FEC tracks from Cocoa to Miami have numerous grade crossings.

I did a Google search and found a 2007 document from the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority when they were looking at using the FEC tracks for a commuter train service. The FAQ states that there were approximately 200 grade crossings between downtown Miami and West Palm Beach. There is not a breakdown of how many of these are public road crossings versus private grade crossings, but regardless, that is a lot of grade crossings.

If the FEC service is successful and proves to the skeptics in FL that people will indeed take trains between Miami and Orlando, then there may be widespread interest in true HSR service between Miami and Orlando. The FEC with the numerous grade crossings would be very expensive and likely problematic to upgrade to electrified HSR. At that time, there could be a resurrection of the plans Miami to Orlando HSR service over a different and grade crossing free route, which may still go to or through the Miami Intermodal Station.

This is long term speculation on my part however. First, the FEC has to get through the many hoops, secure the funding, double track the current tracks & build the new 40 mile line, buy the trainsets, start revenue service, and then get enough ridership to make a successful go of it.