View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2011, 5:41 AM

Never got around to posting my gear. This is what I currently have:

Canon EOS 7D

I bought the 7D in January 2010. I've been very happy with it. AF system is superb, 8 fps is a great feature too. Not the best landscape camera but great for the street.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

I picked up this lens mainly for landcapes but ended up using it as my primary walk around lens. Great for candid street shots. It isn't an L but it very well could be. The housing feels a little cheap and the inner elements get dusty as the lens isn't weather sealed.

Some shots:

Lapsing Beach by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Espera Azul by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM

I bought this lens in March. Incredible sharpness and color. I was very impressed with the original version and the II blows it away. Extremely heavy and sticks out like a sore thumb. Not a great lens if you are looking to stay hidden on the street. Why can't Canon release a black version too?

Looking to Lasso by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Daily Haul by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Kit lens that I don't use much any more. I'll grab it if I'm tight on space or don't want to be changing lenses. The lens is still sharp and produces nice colors but is certainly not on par with other Ls

Dogon Boy by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Old Man on Step by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Canon EF 135mm f/2.0 L USM

Great lens for the street. Because it is a prime, it adds another element to shooting. What you see is what you get. Super crisp and the 2.0 fstop produces a buttery sweet bokeh. Lack of IS is a problem. 135 x 1.6 crop makes hand shake an issue at lower shutter speeds. Nice lightweight and discrete. I use this when I want unnoticed street portraits.

Butchering Fish by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Styled by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 AF APO DG OS HSM

Giant lens that I have used for wildlife shots. The image quality is noticeably worse than my other lenses. Might try and sell this guy soon.

Dead Set by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Out of My Way by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye

I picked this lens up in June. Really wanted the Canon 8-15 L fisheye but is wasn't out when I needed it. The lens is a fixed 10mm, and gives a nice fishe-eye effect. Chromatic Aberration is really, really bad but I can fix that in PS. Image quality is ok, the sharpness just isn't there. Will probably sell this and pick up the canon fisheye.

Arced Shore by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Come and Pray by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Extender EF 1.4X III

I've used this for the 135 and 70-200mm. Great for a little bit of extra reach. Sharpness does seem to suffer in certain instances.

That's about it, I have a manfrotto tripod and a few lighter weight, travel tripods. I also have a few filters and last but certainly not least, a lowepro backpack. Gotta lug all that gear around safely.