View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:38 PM

Here's a Q&A Crain's editorial board held for Johnson two weeks ago, below are his responses regarding transit. Glad to see the Union Station revamp and BRT are a priority!

Quote:
How well is the CTA working now?
I think from the standpoint of the riders, we're fed up with CTA service. And I think CTA workers are also fed up with being assaulted and attacked. They’re not social service workers, but they often find themselves at the front lines of the social issues our City is facing. On-time performance has plummeted. People are waiting longer for their bus or train to arrive, and they don’t feel safe on the platforms. Staffing levels are way down.

What should be done differently?
There is a wide range of things that should be done differently. The CTA needs to make reliability its Number One priority. If service is fast, reliable, clean, and safe, people will leave the car at home and take the train or bus instead. I think the CTA could be more customer-oriented. Bus rapid transit (BRT) should be expanded and fully implemented across key corridors in Chicago. I want to create 500 bus priority signals to speed trips. I will work with the CTA to address the staffing shortage it is facing. There was a study that looked at this issue and its leading recommendation was to listen to the transit workers themselves, to make them a part of the decision-making process. It also concluded that transit agencies need to figure out how to have better working environments. The CTA can and must be a place where Chicagoans go and seek a fulfilling career. We need to hire and train 1,000 new bus and train operators, and we need to pay them fairly.

Where does revamping Union Station stand on your priority list?
I fully support the coalition of state, local, and federal leaders in their request for $251 million in MEGA grant funding from the U.S. Department of Transportation for this important project. While Chicago wasn't on the list of recipients this year, I think next year we can put together an even better proposal from an even bigger coalition.

Should the city continue with its $9.5 billion O’Hare terminal expansion and modernization program?
The Department of Aviation is leading that project. The CDA is self-supporting and gets its money for airport improvements from airport-related fees, taxes, and agreements with the airlines. O’Hare airport is one of Chicago’s greatest assets, and these projects will help keep it that way. Raising the airline fuels tax would also help fund needed improvements.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/poli...-questionnaire