View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 10:26 PM
E pluribus unum

You did my hometown (Cincinnati) great for such a short amount of time there

Must've been during the Bengals' playoff run going by all the orange lighting of the skyline.

Columbus feels almost like a second hometown to me because after my family moved to Arizona in 1996, it was always cheaper to fly to Columbus from Phoenix (either via America West/US Airways or Southwest) than Cincinnati. I'd never flown in or out of CVG until my late 20s (and now do it routinely because of ultra low cost carrier service between PHX/IWA and CVG). As a result (and because of family living in Hilliard), I always spent a lot of time in Central Ohio whenever I'd go back for a visit.

The Ohio Statehouse ain't much to look at from the outside (did someone forget to finish the dome!?) but is a hell of a lot more ornate and interesting inside. It is indeed surprisingly pink, but that rotunda mural is absolutely gorgeous.

Also, is the observation deck at the Rhodes Tower open again? It was closed when I tried to get to it in October 2021 (very politely turned away [no, seriously!] by a security guard who lamented its ongoing closure). Unfortunately, the Carew Tower's has been closed since the pandemic and might not ever reopen (at least to the public) as the building gets converted to condos.

Any chance you got to go inside Union Terminal? For those of a certain age, it was the template for the Hall of Justice from the Superfriends cartoon since Hannah-Barbera was owned by Cincinnati-based Taft Communications. I went to Union Terminal a lot as a kid after the museums opened. I could (and have) spent hours inside that building and the rotunda.