View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
That's kinda the gist of the email my in-laws received from the management of their complex on Sanibel. It's a beachfront property with a grouping of about a dozen or so 4 story reinforced concrete condo blocks arranged kinda v-shaped around a central pool/lawn area.

The whole property was obviously flooded, so first floors, landscaping, and the pool are all lost, but the preliminary inspection of the buildings says that they should be ok structurally.

The beach itself saw substantial erosion, but natural currents and waves may rebuild much of the beach over time anyway.
I think multi-story concrete condominium and hotel buildings are fine in any hurricane,

But most of Sanibel is 2-story residential at best, and though you can’t easily see from aerial flybys, the ground floors are completely busted from photos my friends have sent.

Buildings will be sitting for months with extensive saltwater damage, and most will have no electricity, no police or fire response, and minimal ability to make repairs.

Here’s one brief video from the ground level.
https://youtu.be/QRqNnbcxaTs