View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 9:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New Terminal One project at JFK brings bonanza of community benefits to southeast Queens

Quote:
Southeast Queens elected officials and business leaders celebrated the Holy Grail of economic development when they helped Gov. Kathy Hochul break ground on the massive $9.5 billion new Terminal One at JFK Airport on Sept. 9.

The project is expected to create thousands of total jobs, including more than 6,000 construction positions in addition to its “copious community benefits,” according to Queens Borough President Donovan Richards.

“It’s a truly historic day for Queens and the millions of travelers we welcome to our city via Kennedy Airport as we break ground on one of the biggest infrastructure and economic development projects in our borough’s history,” Richards said. “With the creation of at least 10,000 jobs, many of which will go to local residents, and millions of dollars in contracts to Queens businesses, the brand-new Terminal One will be an indescribably important boost to the Queens economy, the critically important aviation industry and the region as a whole.”

U.S. Rep. Gregory Meeks, who co-chaired the Community Advisory Council with Richards, said the “historic infrastructure project” will have a positive effect on southeast Queens.

“The billions of dollars invested in this transformative project will create thousands of good jobs and Minority and Women Business Enterprises (MWBE) owned and local contracting opportunities, among other benefits,” Meeks said. “I look forward to continuing to work with all our partners to realize the robust workforce development programs, business development opportunities, educational programs and environmental sustainability commitments for the neighborhoods surrounding JFK.”

Councilwoman Selvena Brooks-Powers served as manager of external affairs and community outreach for the Port Authority.

“Already an international transportation hub, JFK International Airport will truly be a fulcrum of construction jobs, MWBE entrepreneurial opportunity, and world-class transportation on the East Coast,” Brooks-Powers said. “I look forward to working with my elected colleagues to expand access to small and MWBE businesses in southeast Queens, create scholastic opportunities for our young people and provide infrastructure opportunities for the JFK Redevelopment project.”

Council Speaker Adams hailed the project as a key economic engine in southeast Queens.

“This project will also improve local roadways and infrastructure, which is critical for the advancement of the communities around the airport,” Adams said. “As the transformation of JFK Airport moves forward, I look forward to continued partnership with all stakeholders to ensure southeast Queens and all New Yorkers benefit from these crucial investments.”
==========================
https://qns.com/2022/09/new-terminal...eens-electeds/