View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:51 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

11/27/2008 09:59 AM

More Details Emerge About Subway Terror Plot

As terrorists struck in India yesterday, security was beefed up at major transportation points in New York City on the news that al-Qaida may have discussed a possible terror attack on our transit system.

The warning was contained in a bulletin sent by the FBI and Department of Homeland Security to local and state authorities.

It cited "uncorroborated but plausible information that al-Qaida may have discussed in late September the targeting of transit systems in and around New York City."

Even though word of the terror alert came on the busiest travel day of the year, reaction among travelers was mixed.

"This is very scary. I feel like moving out of New York," said one New Yorker. "That's all I can tell you."

"You've heard enough alerts. It's crying wolf," said another. "So I'm not going to worry about it. I've heard enough. When it happens I'll duck; what are you going to do?"

Of course is going to be frightening, but like everything else, being a New Yorker you got to take everything in stride and go about your daily business," said a third.

DHS officials say they are not raising the terror alert level.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the NYPD are encouraging New Yorkers to remain alert and tell police or an MTA employee about any suspicious people or packages.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.