View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideLA View Post
Hey, I just found this "design concept" for the New Science and Engineering Building online. This, of course, doesn't mean it's the final design but I believe it gives a glimpse of the kind of thing under consideration:

https://www.hdrinc.com/portfolio/uni...ience-building

It shows it in context--south of Ratner. North of Eckhardt, etc.
Good find! Obviously it's still early, but I like what I'm seeing here. The elements that stand out to me are the plaza/gathering space on the northeast corner, the curved lines that help integrate Ratner and the Mansueto Library into the environment, and the scale, which seems less huge than I'd anticipated). I think it's a very cool design.

One possible dissenting note: The main thing I'm really hoping to see this project do is create an opening at the east edge of the quad onto Ellis Ave. that frames the Nuclear Energy statue anchoring the mid-block between 56th and 57th. A view corridor through the North Science Quad that centers the statue would create a clean, iconic link between the north edge of the medical school campus and the College and enhance the pedestrian experience. It's hard to tell from this picture what's happening on that side of the building.