View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 4:43 PM

gs: That was heady... major carnage, no doubt human as well as automotive. I especially love that first shot with the Lincoln--at least its driver had the decency to take out only one semaphore. And then I noticed the park in the picture....

Google Street View

"I moved into Robert Burns Park. I stole some blankets from a Goodwill box and slept in an ivy patch for three weeks.... It was fall '68. I met a freak at the Hollywood Public Library. He told me about Benzedrex inhalers.... You weren't supposed to swallow the wads and fly on righteous ten-hour highs.... The high was gooooood. It was brain popping and groin-grabbing.... I... started to think that outdoor living wasn't that bad... [but] forgot to factor rain into my outdoor-life equation.... I found a deserted house at 8th and Ardmore and moved in...." --James Ellroy in what I think is his best book, My Dark Places.

All three apartment buildings in the Beverly and Van Ness crash shots still stand, including the one whose lawn provided the final resting place for the Lincoln and the semaphore it took out:
Google Street View

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Apr 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM.