View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 7:06 PM
ON3P Skis

Glad to see this happening, especially since the report from 10 year ago concluded that the speed limits were too low. Many many highways in BC need variable speed limits, the driving conditions can be so different from summer to winter (or even in heavy rain). On the coquilhala you can safely travel at 130km/h (in a regular vehicle, and I'd argue higher in a performance car) in the summertime but it can definitely warrant 90km/h or even below if the road is covered in snow. Same goes for the Sea-to-Sky. Any of the 4-lane sections from Horseshoe Bay to Squamish should be 100km/h in the summer but may need to be lower in the winter depending on weather. Squamish to Whistler should be at least 90km/h (in the summer) for it's entire length. I'm sure I could go on and on talking about Hwy 1 east of Kamloops or Hwy 3 anywhere from Hope to the Alberta border.

I also agree with repealing the 40km/h over impoundment eliminated. As mentioned before, 90km/h in a 50 zone is different that 120km/h in an 80km/h (especially if that 80km/h zone is 3-4 lanes wide like we have in some areas around Vancouver!).

I would also like to see some smaller arterials in Vancouver bumped up from 50km/h to 60km/h. Granville street between 16th and 57th, Oak between King Ed and 70th, Cambie from 49th-59th, Knight Street south of Kingway immediately come to mind. SW Marine west of Camosun could be 80km/h, SE Marine/Marine Way east of Knight Street & Boundary from Marine Way to Imperial could be 70 or 80. The granville bridge could easily handle a 80km/h limit and I think Cambie could handle a 70km/h limit. If all that means that most local streets go to 40km/h that is find by me.