View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 7:48 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Stand at the corner of State and Randolph one day and look all around you.

The profit motive built nearly everything in site.

Like it or hate it, that's what motivates people to build great cities.
The profit motive motivates the building of great cities? That's news to me. This whole time I thought it dealt with a host of other factors, too. Things like efficiency, environment, resources, safety...

But hey, I don't decry the profit margin as much as point out that there are more important things in life than making an extra $5m in revenue (vs. say, making a more measly profit of $35m-$50m/y). Not to mention that they'll be making about $10m more per season in pure profit after the WGN deal expires at the end of next season and perhaps up to 10-15x that in revenues if they start their own station ala YES network.

And let's not forget that ownership can actually write off millions in taxes thanks to depreciation clauses. So if the Cubs make $45m in profits as they did in 2008, absolutely none of that profit is taxed. In fact, over the course of 15 years, Ricketts can deduct up to $105m of taxes thanks to this deal. Not so shabby, eh? But yeah, give the guy a jumbotron, please. Clearly the man needs it.

Last edited by alex1; Apr 22, 2013 at 8:09 PM.