View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 6:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
stupid fucking covid.
Is this really an unavoidable consequence of covid? A lot of European countries kept schools open. Here in BC I think they have been mostly open too even though we have a fair amount of spread. There wasn't much discernible difference in outcomes here whether schools were open or closed either, and these days all teachers and staff can be vaccinated. The media here for a while were making a big deal out of school outbreaks without much clarity on whether the spread was actually happening in the schools. And of course the kids themselves are at minimal risk. This is even more obvious if it's true that a large percentage of those kids are seropositive; where are all the long covid kids if 50% of them got covid in parts of the US?

Lots of private schools open too.

To me it seems like the teachers' unions are pushing this and they are using pretzel-like logic if you take a step back. 2 years ago they were up in arms about whether it's 30 or 25 kids in a classroom. A few months later and they demanded no classroom at all.

I understand the closure during the period of uncertainty in the early pandemic. I don't think the later closures will look very good in retrospect.