View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 8:00 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
Some of the CTA’s problems are by design, and I feel bad for employees that have to put up with this nonsense. There’s nothing they can do, or anything a small security staff can do. When I visit other cities, their turnstiles are substantial. They aren’t easy to get around. Granted some people will always find a way, and the worst few need to be stopped and arrested. So I take a lot of the “increase security” promise with a grain of salt.

As ridership climbs, my hope is that problems will decrease on their own on the CTA but I still think there needs to be a design or engineering solution.
What other cities have "more substantial turnstiles"? Chicago's (which are the same as NYC) are already very substantial with the top bar over every turnstile.

Also, the problem is rarely the turnstiles themselves but the emergency exit gates, which are often propped open. I don't think they can change the design of those without violating fire code. You can put an alarm on them, but it doesn't stop the fare evaders and eventually the alarm wire just gets cut, either as vandalism or by the station agent themselves so they don't go nuts hearing the alarms.