View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 9:24 PM
I just ran out of B***sht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Wilshire/Robertson has about the same residential density as Wilshire/Beverly and Wilshire/Westwood. Take a look at that area again using the link I provided. It is DENSE. And what's wrong with 3-8 stories? Are you expecting more skyscrapers to be built?
I saw the links and then I went right to Beverly/Wilshire where there is slightly more residential density because there are series of 4-5 story apartments mixed with 10-15 story high rise office buildings with more on the way. Westwood is even denser than Wilshire/Robertson coupled with that area being LA's 2nd or 3rd CBD, UCLA being a hop-skip-jump away and the high-rise condo towers just east of Westwood and its no contest.

I expect more development. Because 3-8 stories exist right now around other areas without a subway station along the corridor.

Quote:
That's because ridership projections for the Wilshire Subway are severely underestimated. I can't believe a corridor that dense, both commercially and residentially, barely meets the FTA standard. Something's wrong.
Also keep in mind that other pieces factor into FTA ridership modeling. One important piece is what lines currently exist or are under construction to tie into the subway extension. The more lines and system connectivity already built into the system the greater likelihood the line will perform well. In the case of the Wilshire Subway, these are the following lines that are currently included into the study:

* Current Red/Purple Line
* Current Blue Line
* Gold Line to Sierra Madre Villa
* Current Green Line
* Under Construction East LA Gold Line
* Under construction Expo Line to Culver City.
* Orange Line BRT
* Harbor/El Monte BRT
* Rapid buses
* Current bus network

Notice this doesn't include Expo to Santa Monica, or Foothill Gold Line or Green Line to LAX, Crenshaw Corridor.

This helps explain the point in the previous post about the Regional Connector. Its cost effectiveness rating for the subway portion was very good as is without the Expo Line to Santa Monica, Foothill Gold Line to Azusa and Crenshaw Corridor.

Once those are built and operating the cost-effectiveness of the project improves significantly.

Again the moral of the story is Density and Development will be the key to getting Federal New Starts $$$. Density of surrounding areas related to the cost of the transit infrastructure, and Density of the network the extension will connect to when it opens.

Quote:
If we were to do this then wouldn't that offset the cost of an additional station?
Yes, that is the precise point.

Quote:
And this is not achievable along Wilshire?...
Just because there's low-density doesn't mean a station is dismissible.
Is there a formal development plan in place in conjunction with the building of the subway station along the corridor?

Is there private development funding in line for key projects and the projected station locations ready to go by the time construction of the subway breaks ground?

No, until that is on the table to the FTA, the FTA will treat it as if it doesn't exist or will never exist. That is why the future impacts need to present and at the table with financing in-line and ready to go for such developments. Because then it tells the FTA we are using it for mobility and improving the land-use. That was the key reason why they gave Charlotte funding for their successful LRT starter line. They had their ducks in a row and the FTA saw they were serious.

Quote:
It's like if our bus system were to bypass Beverly Hills and other wealthy areas because the populace can afford to drive. Transit is supposed to serve everyone.
Agreed and however what is wrong with having dedicated bus only lanes to connect the two Beverly Hills stations being planned? That would add transit accessiblity to the area in question and feed into the subway stations it could even do better circulation within the neighborhood to connect to the stations.

Quote:
In the case of Wilshire/Robertson, if we disregard finances for a second and focus entirely on the design, then it makes absolute sense to place a station there.
I agree with you on that context if money was no object however finances are going to affect the design quality and character.

Last edited by Wright Concept; Jul 15, 2009 at 12:45 AM.