View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
It probably makes more sense for us to do it than it did for Halifax. The HRM is currently a mess of urban and rural regions being treated as one. In comparison, most of the northeast Avalon can be considered urban, with a few places such as Pouch Cove, Maddox Cove, etc. which are definitely more rural. I think some differences in how the municipality is run which would account for the different needs of each city/town would be a must.

If there was a way to encourage still using the old city names instead of just saying Northeast Avalon Regional Municipality or whatever it'd be called would definitely be a plus for each town/city.

Creating such a regional municipality would definitely keep the northeast Avalon from competing with each other and have them work as one to compete with other Canadian cities for regional funding/infrastructure/services.
Agree. I think the place names would still exist colloquially in any case, as they do for divisions of other towns in NL. i.e; they still refer to Windsor area of GF-Windsor, Mockbeggar or Red Point in Bonavista. Even Powers Pond in Mt. Pearl as it stands now.

One advantage that HRM has now is that, if an entity is scouting to set up an Atlantic Canada base, they might look up the population of Halifax and find 430K which is the HRM figure.

Looking up St. John's yields 114K, which is far less than the 262K reported for NE Avalon metro area.

I realize there are other factors considered by a corporation when scouting for a head office location, but population is certainly up there, and lends the perception of a busier area with all the sporting, shopping, and cultural activities that it entails.

Last edited by jjavman; Feb 6, 2020 at 4:30 PM.