View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 4:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failte View Post
Yep, all true and people think the Loop and trendy north side 'hoods are Chicago.
they are chicago.

just as the forlorn former industrial neighborhoods of the southside are as well.

chicago, like most major cities, is a giant and complex beast with many different facets.

the main difference is that one of those realms represents chicago's future and the other its past. winners and losers. chicago's got plenty of both.

but i still place chicago in the rust belt category because of the scale and scope of industrial job-loss here. it's doesn't make much sense to me to dissect these things and say things like "well the calumet river corridor and NW indiana might be rust belt, but downtown chicago isn't." that's like saying that detroit is rust belt, but oakland county isn't. i don't see the rust belt as hopping and skipping around like that. i see it as a broader region that was especially hard hit by industrial job loss over the past half-century, even if not every specific place within said belt looks like a decrepit old rusting factory. chicago fits within that broad category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failte View Post
Or that neighborhoods were abandoned by whites because of ''crime''. As I stated above, it was job flight.
neighborhoods don't go from 90% white to 90% black in a generation simply because the local factory shuts down.

white flight was a GIGANTIC factor in many south and west side neighborhoods transitioning from white to black in the 60s/70s/80s.

anyone who says otherwise is woefully ignorant of chicago's history.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 27, 2020 at 5:41 PM.