View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failte View Post
No one has stated that Chicago saw the degree of decline that smaller RB cities did, but this doesn't mean Chicago isn't or wasn't RB. You claimed earlier that you thought Chicago was never RB. Please.

New York was RB by the '70s, its manufacturing industry was pretty much gone and it lost a lot of people in a short time but has surpassed its prior population peak. It's no longer RB at all. Boston lost people as its smaller manufacturing base declined to vanished. All were RB to RB-ish. Boston was a rough and tough town. Navy Yards closed etc.

Chicago in 2020 is still losing population unlike Boston, DC, and NYC. Varying degrees of decline for many cities yet the RB itself still struggles.

Sorry, but you may want to pick-up that mike you dropped earlier...Chicago is Rust Belt.
No I will leave it where it is, you are now using population as the determiner of the Rust belt. At this point no one knows what the population of Chicago will be in the 2020.census. With a more intense effort to count as many people as possible in this 2020 Census we may all be surprised, or maybe not. If you or others see Chicago as Rust belt that is fine with me, but we just disagree on what constitutes a rust belt city. I lived in Ohio and visited other rust belt areas in Western Pennsylvania during the epic of the Rust belt era and I saw cities whose manufacturing left and there were literally no other employment, whole cities nearly decimated. Chicago like any other city has experienced ups and downs but nothing like that. And matter of fact employment continues to increase in the Chicago area with even manufacturing up slightly in 2019, not much rust here.