Metropolitan Musem of Art Finally Plans New Fifth Ave Plaza

Wednesday, February 8, 2012, by Sara Polsky

Time for some NIMBYism...

http://www.dnainfo.com/20120214/uppe...-neighbors-say
Met Museum's $60M Plaza Would Be an Unwelcome 'Hangout,' Neighbors Say

February 14, 2012
By Amy Zimmer

Quote:

Grand plans for a multi-million dollar plaza stretching four blocks outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art have angered Upper East Siders — who fear the creation of a Fifth Avenue “hangout.” The major overhaul of the tourist-crammed spot beside Central Park includes the creation of seating areas with 400 chairs and 100 tables scattered under new trees and umbrellas for shade. But, instead of a vision of European-style splendor, the plaza’s well-heeled neighbors see it as little more than a huge gathering spot. “I don’t think it’s appropriate,” Community Board 8 member Peggy Price said. “This is a neighborhood, not a place to hang out.”

The new seating will help redirect traffic from the museum’s steps, which are a popular spot for tourists to sit as thousands more try to get in and out of the 82nd Street entrance, the Met’s director and CEO Thomas Campbell said at the board’s landmarks committee meeting Monday night.

Residents also criticized the Met's plans to build a kiosk in the plaza to sell tickets and another to sell refreshments. They were chagrined to learn that the street vendors selling art and food would have designated spots after the renovation.

"We don’t really need ticket vending outside the museum in that gorgeous plaza you’re going to create," said Paul Whitby, who lives across the street from the Met. "I think this is going to be a windfall for the food vendors,” community board member Michele Birnbaum said. She also thought it would be a boon to Madison Avenue delis that sell picnic lunches to park-goers. "I think if you’re providing additional seating for 400 people," she said. "I think it will be a picnic destination.”

The Met needs various city approvals, including from the Public Design Commission, before it can move forward on the 23 month-long construction. Museum officials are seeking the commission's final approval by July, and are hoping to start work in the fall.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.