View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 8:34 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Cool idea for a thread. My family actually has a cottage on the northern fringe of Muskoka. Which, while growing up I was never super into - even as a kid I was always a city guy at heart.

But during the Covid lockdowns, when the city was desolate and empty, my girlfriend & I would often drive up and spend weekends alone together there, and just enjoy & appreciate the quiet, simple, pleasures that it afforded: cooking elaborate meals & eating them while sitting on the rocks outside, having fires, swimming, going for walks, doing mushrooms, letting our animals run around freely, and so on. It's cosy & woodsy; and not unlike Kool, I'd often find it hard to readjust to the city after a peaceful weekend away. Not that I could live full time up there either though.

Living in Vancouver now, that cottage is one of the things I miss the most. Once money allows it though, our plan is to buy a plot of land on the Island (or one of the Gulf Islands), and design & build a little cabin of our own - a weekend getaway for us here, and income-generating vacation rental property while we're away; and a home base in BC for if and when we end up back in Toronto. Either way it's a lot more realistic than owning property in the city!

Last edited by MonkeyRonin; Dec 6, 2022 at 3:29 AM.