View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 8:14 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michagain View Post
I'm no fan of sprawl, either, but I strongly believe all limited access roads around Lansing should have at least 3 lanes. For me, at least, three lanes gives the necessary amount of maneuverability in areas with lots of ramps or trucking.

My unscientific opinion (anecdotal only) is that two lane roads experience backups disproportionately to similar roads/traffic with three lanes. In other words I "believe" a third lane provides a very significant marginal return on driving time. But after three lanes those marginal returns are arguable, or at least start decreasing.

It seems most cities in the U.S. of +90,000 generally have three-lane expressways, and I've wondered for a long, long time why we haven't added our thirds yet.
It's funnny, I'd never thought much about this or payed attention until I was out of town back in July. I drove through Fort Wayne, which is a metropolitan area of very similar size, and was surprised how how expansive the freeways were. It seemed like overkill, to me.

That said, I don't mind the specific weave lanes being put up around Frandor. The one just built between 496 and Saginaw was certainly needed, but I'm skeptical about the need for any additional lanes north of Saginaw given that there is plenty of time to merge before and after Lake Lansing.

Truth be told, it's hard to fix the bad planning errors of the past around Frandor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I don't see why sound walls are needed when you can improve screeding techniques and the concrete in the future can be milled or topped with silent asphalt. MSU after all is one foremost researchers in this area.
Well, outside the reduction of sound, a sound wall also serves as a physical barrier.