Thread: The Dad Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I could have done lots of activities as a kid but would always quit them. I tried a bunch of things but never got into anything with a passion. As a child I always envied those who had been doing some form of activity for their entire childhood and youth, got really good at it and also developed a circle of friends as a result.
It's funny that you mention that. I was the same way. I did have some activities but I never really stuck with them. And my parents didn't really push me. They respected my wishes which... I don't know. If your seven year old tells you they don't want to continue with swimming lessons, does it make sense to listen to them?

I'll never be the dad who throws a screaming child out on the ice yelling "YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY, DAMMIT!" But at the same time I do want to provide more encouragement than I got as a child. And even at the young ages of my kids it's nice to see them sticking with it and having fun. My kids have a lot of activities but their favourites are hockey for my son, and dance for my daughter... neither is likely to ever make a living at those pursuits, but it's fun, they enjoy it, and it's good for them so I support it wholeheartedly as long as it lasts.