View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
While I can understand you wanting a Philly team before NYC has two, a Queens team makes a lot more sense than a Philly team.

NYC is more than five times the size of Philly, and the NYC metro is almost four times the size of Philly metro, so, if anything, two NYC teams is too few compared to one Philly team. Now if you compare the recent Latin and European immigration populations in each city (the core market for MLS soccer), NYC probably has something like (I'm guessing) eight times Phily's population.

Given the giant immigrant population from soccer loving populations in Queens and Brooklyn, a Queens soccer stadium would be a huge success. I think it would immediately be among the most valuable franchises and would compete for best MLS attendance.

I do agree that it's important that Philly also get an MLS franchise. It's currently the second largest after the Bay Area without a team, and is much bigger and more sports-crazy than most of the MLS cities (won't name any names).
nothing like an entitled new yorker. by your logic, new york should have about 3 teams before ANY other market gets one. when I was growing up, my mother never let me have seconds until I had finished my first helping. moral: support the team you already have before you go for a second one. the red bulls are not supported the way a team in the largest market should be. and don't blame it on being in new jersey: the giants and jets do just fine there. if you were a real fan, you would travel there to support the team instead of insisting a team move closer to you. the location of philly's proposed stadium is farther from me than the meadowlands is from you, and I plan to support the team when (not if) we get one.

Last edited by skyscraper; Jan 19, 2008 at 6:14 PM.