View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 17, 2021, 1:35 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Good question - my dad and i were touring it a couple weeks ago..we chatted up the window washers for a bit. They work 7 days a week, weather permitting. The ropes will always be present unless retrieved fully for extended periods of bad weather. It was a shockingly manual system - two guys acting as sway anchors on the ground, and two cleaning windows. Their platform is left sitting on the edge of the street at the end of the day........hard to believe this is the permanent solution?
a while ago in one of the new york forums on here i had a conversation about this.. basically window washers are unionized and in many cases the union(s) are powerful enough to prevent buildings from installing automated window-washing equipment or any equipment at all that reduces the need for window washing jobs, even if the new equipment would be safer (such as systems that would eliminate the need for building owners to pay several humans 50k a year + benefits to act as sway anchors for 8 hours a day for two other guys hanging from cables) Its absolutely fucking ridiculous if you ask me

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.