View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 5:53 PM
zzzzzzzz

I agree that, in terms of transit modes, LRT might make more sense on a city street (83rd or 91st or wherever) than a freeway (with heavy rail a more sensible option for a freeway median), but I wouldn't say running LRT in freeway right of way eliminates the opportunity for TOD. Maybe you won't have lofts or offices directly overlooking the rail line and pretty streetscapes focused on the rail, but you can still develop the area within ~1/2 mile of the rail as a more dense area. The idea is that people could walk to the stops. While I know that people here don't like to walk much, I don't think there's a major difference in walking 1/4 mile vs. walking 200' out your office door. Running rail in freeway right of way, especially in the median, has the potential to make the trip much more efficient, since the trains wouldn't have to deal with street lights, etc.

As far as the connecting buses in the 101 corridor, by the time the rail is extended to Westgate, which will be quite a while, the bus system will certainly connect all major city streets in that area.