View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
That's it. I'm done. I'm done fighting it. Dollar Tom (fuck you) Ricketts has successfully and completely ruined Wrigley and the Cubs. Emanuel and Tunney can fuck off and die too. They've successfully turned Wrigley into an amusement park ride for tourists. I'm disgusted.

Since my senior year in high school I've averaged about 20 games a season (I'm 27 now), and I'm really considering not going anymore. The place is completely overrun by idiot out of towners in their idiot family caravans. The bleachers aren't the same anymore; they're really kind of boring now. There are signs and advertisements EVERYWHERE now! Beer costs, what, $8?! I'm just sick of it. It's so un-Chicago it's disgusting. It's turned into a trip to Sears's observations deck. And now a fucking mascot?!

I hate change, but this is on a whole different level. Dollar Tom has ruined a team and place I've loved for so long. Not. Happy.

The absolute worst part about it all is he's doing all this under the guise of 'improving the team' and 'building a winning organization' okay... blah blah blah. Blow that farce out your ass, Tom. All of this is to improve the stock worth of his personal company and holdings. That's it. If he REALLY wanted to build a winning team, he's fucking do it. Follow the example of Rocky Wirtz, not his father.

I think his actual plan is to completely alienate his Chicago fan base so much, that he takes the team elsewhere, where tradition and history mean nothing.

Fact is we had a winning team back in 03, and that was without all the bullshit 'improvements' and bogus advertising. That was back when Wrigley was cool, and very few tourists even came to the CITY period. I miss those days.
This is hilarious. There weren't out of towners in 2003? Ha - 1977, I'll give you, but 2003 was well into the Wrigley/Harry/Sammy Sosa/Holy Cow/LetsGoToBarleycorn carnival atmosphere.

And Rickets is following the example of Rocky Wirtz to a T. The difference is Rocky came on board with a roster ready to mature into a Stanley Cup winning team. Ricketts took over a team filled with expensive contracts on worthless players and no farm system, so winning can't obscure the in-your-face marketing.

If Epstein's plan works out, you'll be back, and 15 years or so from now, bitch to someone about how the good old days were around 2016, before it really got out of control.

Back to lurking.