View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
LakeLocker...................comparing London to Detroit's inner city and Vancouver's DTES is categorically farcical. A Holocaust video??

I am not saying that the city doesn't have a homeless, vagrancy, and drug problem which it clearly does but I think part of the issue for London is that you don't "expect" to see it due to London's leafy, old wealth reputation. Victoria is almost the size of London and yet the situation there is much worse which shocks people when they go there because they don't "expect" it due to the city's pristine reputation. This opposed to Vancouver's entire Downtown Eastside, Commercial, Granville, Davie, and Robson Streets where people expect to see it and hence it doesn't even phase them.

As far as the city never urbanising due to this, the stats prove you wrong as the downtown population is soaring. All you have to do is look at all the condo/apt towers that have been completed and are under construction/proposed in the Core to realise that.
I actually felt safer in DT Detroit than I did the last time I was in DT London (a Sunday last Fall). Dundas was just shockingly deserted except for all of the vagrants, and it just felt super sketchy and dangerous.
Some parts of the core were very nice though, but the bad parts were quite scary.

Last edited by north 42; Oct 15, 2020 at 1:41 PM.