View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I'm also now living in New York from Chicago and the subways are indeed awful here. The delays, the heat, the smells. It is absolutely worse than the CTA. Outside of rush-hour times the amount of lines and stations that are closed for xyz reasons makes the whole system incredibly unreliable and useless. I default to taking an uber now because I've gotten stranded too many times. I made sure to get an apartment within walking distance of work so I didn't have to deal with it.
Yeah some of my born and raised NY friends here have talked about that, and how bad it's been most of the time. Sometimes when get together on weekends, they just take an uber somewhere because of the closures, construction, and not just even running.

Also about the MTA running 24/7 - sure, it does technically but there's some lines that don't. My girlfriend lives in Queens near an R stop which actually stops running from 11pm - 5:30am everyday for all of Queens and all but one Manhattan stop. The M line is another one that basically does those same operating hours. I have a B stop somewhat near me which only runs on weekdays but stops running at 11pm. There are other lines where some stops aren't 24/7 and instead you have other trains stopping there instead. However, depending on where you want to go it might not be of any use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I rode the subway every day. It was often late, but it did the job.

The MTA workers couldn't care less and were often rude.

But I still loved it. The NYC subway riding experience is a unique thing in America. I often cursed at it for making me late, but damn I miss it.
It's gotten a lot worse every year in the last handful of years. It used to be better.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/12/n...ming.html?_r=0

The one difference I notice between riding the NY subway and Chicago subway is that during overcrowded situations, the people on the CTA actually get off the train in a hurry so the people who need to get off at that stop can get off easier. Then everyone comes back on. In NY that doesn't happen. You have assholes blocking the doors sometimes for half of the entire thing and when it's really crowded, people rarely actually get off. They do the annoying thing that baseball fans riding to Wrigley Field do and just kind of spin around in circles as people try and get off. Nobody ever calls them out on it, so there's basically only one half of a door to get in and out. I actually feel as if the riders in Chicago are smarter about stuff like this. The first month I started riding the NY subways regularly for work, about 3 years ago, this is the one thing that shocked me and would not be at all surprised if it's one thing that's contributing to the delays.