View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Just because he can "make it happen" doesn't make it the right thing to do.

If Musk can privately fund the project in a way that doesn't leave taxpayers on the hook in case of failure, then I'm all for this project. Bureaucratically, the city should do everything to slash the red tape and let this thing go. I'm all for exploring the idea and soliciting a proposal.

However, if Musk is expecting taxpayers to chip in, then I'm flat out against this project no matter how sexy it may seem. Even with Musk's supposed cost savings, this project will still cost hundreds of millions or (easily) billions. Chicago and the surrounding region has many more important transit projects to invest in than a foolhardy airport whiz train, especially when we already have a train line that goes to each airport. As MHSRA and others have pointed out, there is a way to build an airport express that could benefit everyone and not just wealthy air travelers, but that requires major taxpayer investment and a solution to Metra's endless turf battles within RTA.
I completely agree, and have aired my preference for improved blue line service here multiple times. However.. we already know that in order to beat the blue line's door-to-door times it would require a huge sum of money to accomplish using any existing conventional rail methods. If Musk can deliver on his projected cost savings and create a fully automated system and do so at-cost, as a demonstration project, then I think there may be potential to attract private capital. The city already spent a ton on the unused Block 37 superstation that could be used for this.