View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 1:26 PM

Busy Bee;9948827

I am kinda amazed this cost $370 million dollars though. A track straightening and an at-grade shed style station structure shouldn't cost half that in my opinion. What exploded the cost exactly for someone who follows WMATA closer than me?

Lets look at what that $370 million dollars paid for:
  • The 2 side platforms have full length platform canopies. No other station in the system when originally built had full length platform canopies.
  • The width of the platform are the second widest in the system, they are second to the upper level platforms in L'Enfant Plaza.
  • The combined length of the pedestrian bridges that connect the entrance pavilions to the mezzanine is around 1/4 mile.
  • The floor area of the mezzanine is greater then any other entrance mezzanine in the system.
  • The total number of elevators in the station is 10. 2 in each of the 2 entrance pavilions, 2 in the east entrance, 2 each connecting the mezzanine to the 2 platform, the 2 elevators serving the northbound platform descend to the service level under the north end of the station. No other station in the system has that many elevators.
  • The entire C11 train control zone had its original train control room retired and replaced with a new one.
  • A new double crossover along with a traction power tiebreaker was added.
  • The track bed through the station is concrete along with the track bed under the double crossover.
  • The soil conditions required deep piles to support mezzanine.
  • The service level is below both platforms providing access to the machine rooms of the east entrance and platform elevators and platform escalators.
  • A second new double redundant power line was added to provide power to the station along with switch gear in the substation.
  • The existing traction power substation was upgraded.
  • All of the nodes in the network used to monitor and control the support systems in the station are connected using fiber, that includes voice over IP, video, WIFI and Cellular.
There are likely a number of other things that I am not aware of that can be add to this list.