View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 2:04 PM

One aspect to consider is how complex we have made society.

My mother suffered a stroke in her late 50s, and she lived into her late 80s. After her stroke she was able to liver a normal life. Look after herself, go shopping using cash. Interact with friends and family. My dad was a few years older and into his 60 in a similar condition.

What she could not do, was withdraw money from the bank. It was a terrible experience for her. The teller would want her to put a card into a reader, type in a PIN number. The teller would then get upset if she could not do it. She just could not get it. Thankfully the credit union had no such nonsense.

One time I had to file her vacancy tax declaration with the city. Silly tax, but a different story. They expect her to log into a computer navigate a multi-page website asking for folio numbers, pass codes, SIN number, account number. It was silly. No way to declare this using a paper form.

I was missing one of the silly codes and called them. They explained they could not give me that code, unless I had another code that would have been printed on a letter sent two months earlier. I said I don't have it can they re-mail it. No they can't, but I can login to a portal and get the code there. When I pointed out I don't have an account on their poral they explained how easy it to setup I just need the folio number and the passcode number that they can't give me. That city of Vancouver system is broken and excessively complex.

We need to engineer all of this stuff in society so someone that has modest cognitive challenges can function in society. This is going to become a bigger issue as the number of seniors increases.

Last edited by casper; Jul 20, 2022 at 2:26 PM.