View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 4:37 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Probably. Detroit was unique in that it had the highest industrial wages on earth, which powered very high auto ownership levels, which powered sprawl. Auto industry workers could purchase deeply discounted vehicles via employee pricing. You had really strong auto-oriented suburban districts by the 1930's, not that different from LA. The streetcar system seemed stressed unusually early, and downtown retail was sinking even in the 1950's.

I remember reading a book about Hudson's, the premiere department store, and second largest on earth. The last addition to the flagship was completed around 1950. I think by 1955 or so, executives were alarmed that the store might not last. It survived until 1982, but sales shrank from the early 50's onward.

The second largest department store, Kern's, struggled and was sold in 1957, and shut down in 1959. A third department store, Crowley's, lasted until the mid-1970's.

There was a big marketing blitz called Downtown Detroit Days, to get people shopping downtown, beginning in 1954, and lasting into the 1980's. Downtown execs were worried very early in the postwar years. Detroit was basically a decade or two ahead of other U.S. cities in the suburban retail shift. In other major U.S. downtown cores, they were still building new freestanding flagship department stores in the 1960's and 70's.
Yeah with everyone driving no point in investing in public transportation or keeping streetcars like Toronto and select other cities did.

I also always wondered why Detroit built that toy elevated train instead of a proper light rail. I mean Buffalo's hasn't been expanded but it's definitely usable to UB South campus, medical campus/Allentown, downtown (arena, ballpark, Canalside). The new Woodward streetcar has less ridership than Kansas city's

My great Uncle (that I never got to meet) worked at Hudson's. When he came to visit family in Canada he brought clothes for everyone. When my Mom and Aunt were kids he brought them the nicest clothes/dresses (particularly compared to what one could get in Canada at the time 50s/60s)

Hope the next census shows a decent rebound for city proper. I've always liked Detroit.