View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Definitely. There were a few early millennials in bands at the tail end of the genre (such as teen band Kittie) but overwhelmingly the artists were Gen-Xers. A lot more than you'd expect were in their late 20s or even 30s when the genre hit big.

I started with Nu Metal early enough to buy Korn's first album shortly after it was released (basically the first real album in the genre - still holds up), but did so because my friends Gen-X older brother introduced us to the metal and punk bands he listened to. Even in the context of listeners the big target audience was probably the grey zone between X and Millennial which I fit into - usually defined as being born between 79 and 84.
I meant to comment on this earlier. I got into Korn during last year's lockdown and they were a revelation--very musically serious. Jonathan Davis is a great song writer; he put down some thought-provoking lyrics. And the band's funky-metal sound is significantly different from the hard rock band with a DJ and whiteboy rapper sound of some of their later peers.

On that same musical trip I rediscovered System of a Down. They're just excellent. But are they nu metal?

Anyway, it's a genre that deserves better than Fred Durst.