View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
If we want to capture the balance of what the Mayor ended up saying...clearly homelessness and resolving it is something that is on her radar, despite what some like to portray. There is obviously a contingent here that does not own real estate and/or property and feels that those that own it should be required to reach deeper in their pockets to cover the costs when we already pay a helluva lot of money to the province and federal government in taxes which is where the responsibility lays, exactly as the Mayor has laid out.

Balance of quote that was cut off in an earlier post:

“I can tell you, when we show up to broker deals with not-for-profit, community-based organizations with the provincial and Federal governments, things advance. So, I think we (the city) have a coordinating role. I think we figure out how to convene and bring folks together and come up with ideas.”

She went on to say that the city is expected to be a partner when addressing homelessness.
I don't disagree that we should be a partner, but I see far more worrying about big shiny things REAL/Semple/business owners/developers want and less concern about the day to day stuff and the unglamorous maintenance of the city. Council pushes a lot harder for their legacies than for the NIMBY stuff like getting rid of parking minimums and increased density, both things we need in this city.

And not that it matters, I am a homeowner and I do pay property tax so if you are lumping me in that group that doesn't pay, go away!