View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 6:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
To me it seems implausible that online education is a real thing for say a 7 year old kid with a working single mother. I could see it working for some older kids who are self-directed or some younger kids with parents who basically operate as teachers, though even in those cases the socialization aspect is lacking.
my daughter basically lost her entire year of kindergarten.

yeah, for the last 3 months she was finally going 2 days/week in-person, so better than nothing i guess, but still 80% of it was staring into a lap top screen from her bedroom, which was largely a waste of time.

and kindergarten is EXPLICITLY all about learning how to behave in a classroom, the socialization stuff, not the ABC's and 123's.

how to sit down and be quiet, how to line up, how to take turns, how to get along with classmates without biting or kicking them, all of that super-important stuff for little kids to learn that is just nowhere "remotely" close to being the same with remote learning.

long term, i think (hope?) she'll be fine, but it still sucks that she kinda got robbed of having a kindergarten experience.

stupid fucking covid.